Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Luthier Waddy Thomson : WaddyThomson Guitars


About Waddy Thomson and WaddyThomson Guitars from http://waddythomsonguitars.com/

g5f_04-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-1
Waddy has been educating himself on the process of making guitars for longer than 20 years. When he started playing back in 1979, he became highly interested in guitar making. He even bought some books, tools and parts for making guitars, but on account of children and family responsibilities that demanded his time, he never got around to actually making a guitar.

During all these years, Waddy did study the art of Luthiery extensively, and maintained the interest. In 2006, he cam to a sudden realization that the children were happily married and settled, parents were gone, but the interest for creating guitars was still very much alive. He continued studies of guitar making techniques on his own. He joined several guitar maker forums, and bought a library of books on the subject. Finally in 2007, he started his first guitar. It took a year, but turned out to be a guitar that he was very proud of, still is, and plays it often.

g5f_15-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-2g5f_01-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-3g5f_02-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-4g5f_03-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-5g5f_05-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-6g5f_06-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-7g5f_07-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-8g5f_08-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-9g5f_09-Guitar-Luthier-LuthierDB-Image-10
Waddy explains...What did I learn from this experience? I learned that I seem to have a knack for this process. Somehow, my ear hears what I need it to hear, in the wood, and allows me to find the right combinations of bracing and thickness. That's not to say that I don't have a lot to learn. Each guitar is a learning experience. But, I have also learned that every hand made guitar is going to have it's own personality.

About the style of instruments Waddy makes, he says...
At present, I'm building Spruce topped instruments inspired by my studies of Jose Romanillos' style, and use a bracing pattern similar to his 1973 guitar that was played, for years, by Julian Bream. It produces a guitar with exceptional response and excellent projection. I find it to have a very appealing voice, with lots of reserve and breadth of tonality. Some players ask if it is a bright sound. I think that depends on your perspective. I believe it is perceived to be bright because of the incredible treble response and sustain. The trebles are bright, and have complex overtones. However, it is still a very balanced instrument with strong mids and outstanding bass with reserves to spare. Of course, I'm making them, and it's my opinion, but you can decide for yourself when you play one.

Waddy took classical guitar lessons, but the lessons didn't take him! He does play though, in an active guitar ensemble, The Rosewood Guild, but the truth is, he says, I'm a player of limited ability. That's not to say that I don't love playing, I do, and I practice every day. Well........almost every day!

Waddy has some sound clips on his site as well...
Track 1 | Track 2

Additional Links from Waddy Thomson Guitars

No comments:

Post a Comment